top of page
Tree Lined Path

Wildlife Coexistence


Poison baits can be toxic to wildlife if they are eaten, or if an animal eats a rodent that was recently poisoned. When an animal eats the bait directly, it is called primary poisoning. Secondary poisoning is caused by eating poisoned prey, also called relay toxicosis. The level of toxicity depends on the timing, amount and type of poison the rodent has consumed and the number of rodents the predator eats. Poisoned rodents usually take several days to die and during this time are very easy prey. Owls, hawks, eagles, falcons, bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions, foxes, herons, egrets, and even children are all at risk.

  • To reduce risks of secondary poisoning for pets and wildlife; search for, collect, and dispose of poisoned rodents.

  • Better yet, simply avoid their use and stick to exclusion, deterrents, or putting up an owl box.

Secondary poisoning is a concern if your cat or dog eats mice or rats that have ingested poison.


bottom of page